- ¼ cup olive oil or coconut oil
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 medium bunches collard greens (about 10 ounces each), washed, stemmed, and cut into 1/2 -inch-thick ribbons (18 to 20 packed cups)
- 12 cups vegetable broth/or water
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon chipotle seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke/liquid aminos/tamari (Gluten Free Soy Sauce)
- Step 1
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or other large, heavy pot over medium-high until shimmering, about 3 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add vinegar; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion and garlic are translucent, about 6 minutes. Working in batches, add collards, stirring constantly after each addition, until wilted and all greens fit in pot, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in broth, and bring to a boil over medium-high. Add hot sauce, adobo seasoning, seasoned salt, kosher salt, black pepper, and liquid smoke.
- Step 2
Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until collards are tender but not mushy, about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Season with additional salt to taste. Using a slotted spoon, transfer greens to a large bowl to serve.