- 2 cups of red split lentils, washed and rinsed
- 1/3 cup of white rice, washed and rinsed
- 2 large onions, chopped small
- 8 cups of water or broth (more if needed)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of each cumin and coriander (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
In a soup pot, heat a 1/4 cup of olive or vegetable oil, add carrots and tomatoes, and sauté for 2 minutes
Add the lentils and rice into the pot and cover with water or broth. Cook on high heat with the lid on.
Once the soup starts to boil, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer.
Meanwhile, in a cooking pan, heat 1/3 cup of olive oil and add the onions. Cook onions on medium heat for 3 minutes. Add all spices and salt, and cook for an extra 5 to 6 minutes on medium to low heat until caramelized.
When the vegetables and lentils mixture is tender and fully cooked, remove from pot and place into a blender (blend in 2 batches if necessary), and blend until smooth.
After blending, return the soup back into the pot, add caramelized onions and lemon juice, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve warm with pita bread.