- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 scallions, white bulbs, and green tops- chopped and reserved separately
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 pound (about 3) boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from 6 to 8 ears), divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (quart) can of low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over moderately low heat. Add scallion bulbs, bell pepper, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables start to soften about 10 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes, 2 cups corn, bay leaf, broth, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the remaining 2 cups of corn with milk.
- Stir puree into the soup along with black pepper. Simmer until soup thickens slightly, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Stir in scallion greens. Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream, if using.