Winter Vegetable Shepherd's Pie
Box Pick Up: 2/5/22
Week two of our MI Plus Box recipe! Our friends at Brooklyn Street Local made the crusts you'll find in your box, and our very own Chef Manal took ingredients straight from the Farm Box to create this delectable Shepherd's Pie.
WINTER VEGETABLE SHEPHERD'S PIE
For the mash:
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1-inch pieces)
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 2 mediums to large celery root, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic, whole and peeled
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper, ground
For the gravy:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3 pounds of mushrooms (button, oyster, etc.), chopped roughly
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- ¾ teaspoon of black pepper, ground
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- · 1 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme
- · 1 bay leaf
For the filling:
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup of parsnips, peeled and diced - small
- ½ cup of carrots, peeled and diced - small
- ¼ cup of Tuscan kale, chopped and washed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place first 5 ingredients of the mash in a large pot and fill with water until all is submerged. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer with lid on, until vegetables are tender. 10-15 minutes.
- Drain vegetables, reserving broth. Mash vegetables until smooth, stirring in the salt and pepper.
- In a large cooking pan: heat up oil and 1 teaspoon of the butter on medium to low heat.
- Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic, and cook mushrooms, are fully cooked and soft. Then add vinegar and reduce until half is evaporated.
- In the same pan, add the other tablespoon of butter and stir until combined. Add vegetable stock, bay leaf, and thyme, and stir well to avoid lumps.
- Simmer, while stirring every so often. After your gravy starts to thicken a bit, add in your peas, parsnips, carrots, and kale. Simmer and stir until a thick gravy is formed. Then remove from heat.
EDIT: ADD PIE CRUST INSTRUCTIONS
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-quart baking dish. Spread with mashed vegetables. Bake, uncovered, until filling is bubbly, 30-35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.