Cranberry Lemon Tart
In this recipe we'd like to highlight one of our beloved Eastern Market vendors: Burda's Berries. His blueberries, raspberries and cherries are a summer favorite, but today we're focusing on cranberries! This tart gives us a little burst of sunshine in every bite!! Add a pint or two of Burda's fresh cranberries to your next curbside order and make this delicious tart for the perfect winter pick-me-up.
- Feel free to substitute pastry crust for the Brooklyn Street Local crust included in our 2/5/22 MI Plus Box!
CRANBERRY LEMON TART
- Pastry Crust
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cranberry Curd
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup cranberry juice ( not cocktail)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh (or frozen) cranberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Lemon Curd
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- PASTRY: In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment beat butter and powdered sugar. Beat in the egg yolk. Add flour, ginger and salt; mix on low until pastry comes together. Shape into a disk, wrap in wax paper and chill for at least an hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to a 1/8 inch thickness. Prick all over with a fork. Transfer to a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom and nudge into place. Roll pin over rim to trim away excess pastry. Freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line pastry with parchment, then line with enough foil to drape over the sides. Fill with weights, such as rice or granulated sugar. Bake until fragrant and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Lift our foil (with weights) and parchment. Return to oven to brown a bit more, about 5 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- CRANBERRY CURD: In a bowl whisk together sugar, juice, egg yolks and salt. In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium. Wisk in sugar mixture. Stir in berries. Bring to a biol; reduce heat. Cook while stirring occasionally, until berries pop and curd thickens, about 20 minutes. Press through a fine-mesh sieve. Stir in vanilla. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- LEMON CURD: In a bowl whisk together sugar, lemon juice, egg whites and salt. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in sugar mixture. Cook while whisking, until thickened- about 3 to 4 minutes. (Mixture may curdle) Press through a fine-mesh sieve. let cool 15 minutes.
- Pour cranberry curd into tart shell. Dollop blobs of lemon curd. Using a skewer, pull stripes right to left, then left to right, zigzagging down the tart. Turn tart 90 degrees and repeat stripes. Finish with a few circles. Chill 1 hour or preferably overnight before serving. Enjoy!